At this point in your journey along the RP Pathway, you will know what you can expect from your optician, GP, eye consultant, general counsellor, genetic counsellor, eye hospital, registration, social services, supporting charities, and others, and have links to some good sources of information and support.
Though you might pause here for a time, and let everything sink in, the journey is a continuous one. Retinitis pigmentosa is a progressive condition and at present (February 2012) there are no treatments beyond some currently in clinical trials. It is therefore difficult but likely that you will need more information, guidance and support going forward.
The key people and organisations that will be able to offer this are:
- Your ophthalmologist, optician and GP
- Supporting charities, notably RP Fighting Blindness and RNIB, and your local associations
- Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) and counsellors
- Social services departments
- Well informed family members and friends
- The RP Helpline